Mission and Vision
William King Museum of Art (WKMA) is a visual arts and cultural heritage museum serving residents of Southwest Virginia & Northeast Tennessee as well as visitors to the area. The museum’s mission is to provide arts education, exhibit fine art, and preserve the region’s cultural heritage. WKMA will maintain its historic facility and accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums.
The vision of William King Museum of Art is to be the leading visual art and cultural heritage museum in Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee and to expand our service into eastern Kentucky, southern West Virginia and western North Carolina. In order to achieve this goal, we will:
- Preserve the cultural heritage of this region with emphasis on Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee through programs, exhibitions, publications and collections that promote an accurate and full appreciation for the region’s place in American decorative arts and material culture;
- Serve as the primary showcase for the region’s decorative arts and material culture;
- Draw increasing numbers of visitors into our museum to learn about the world through art;
- Continue to present a variety of exhibitions that feature historic and contemporary art of the region and the world;
- Take a leading role in delivering and promoting arts education as an essential element of childhood development;
- Promote adult enrichment through art, including continuously delivering exhibitions, classes, lectures, and workshops;
- Provide studio space for artists;
- Serve as a forum for social and cultural engagement;
- Continue to improve our community involvement and accessibility;
- Become a leading facilitator of creative workforce development.
Support & Join
Become part of our story. Help us tell your story. Thank you for your support.See More