The William King Museum of Art is a visual arts institution and a cultural cornerstone of our Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee region. The museum’s mission is to present its constituents and visitors with the following artistic experiences:
·Bring rotating exhibits of works of art from around the nation and the world to our diverse audience
·Showcase and preserve our cultural heritage
·Use art as a tool to educate both children and adults and enrich lives
·Serve as a museum showcase for our regional artists
The William King Museum of Art will become the premier regional fine arts and cultural heritage center in the country, known for its first class exhibitions, outstanding educational opportunities, documentation and care of objects from the region, and as a resource for research. We will draw visitors from across the country, positively impacting our regional economy. Furthermore, we will improve the quality of life in our region by promoting the arts and arts education as an essential part of human development.
The staff and Board of Trustees of William King Museum of Art are committed to advancing the arts and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values:
- Leadership and excellence – We honor integrity and high standards.
- Collaboration – We celebrate team synergy built on trust.
- Respect and Compassion – We honor each individual’s unique abilities and sensibilities.
- Inclusiveness – We welcome all members of our community and visitors
- Professionalism and Scholarship – We encourage creativity, education, analysis, documentation, and communication, promoting knowledge and life-long learning.
Adopted by Board of Trustees, May 2010